One of the multitude of tasks the bride has to deal with before the big day is deciding on a style, color and theme for her bridesmaids’ outfits. Deciding on the style and color of the dress might be the easy part, but when it to accessorizing the outfits, it’s important to remember that what works with one style might not necessarily work with another. If all of the bridesmaids are wearing the same style, accessorizing will be uniform, however if they are wearing different styles of dresses, be sure to accessorize each dress accordingly.
How to wear a bridesmaid dress?
1. Choose suitable styles- There are myriad styles to choose from when it comes to dressing your bridesmaids, however if you are planning to have each bridesmaid dressed in a separate style dress, choose styles that suit each individual accordingly. For example, your big-busted friend would look better in the V-neck style and your broad-shouldered friend would look great in the strapless style.
2. Keep the same length- It is a good idea to keep all the dresses at the same length for uniformity – make them all knee-length or ankle length – don’t mix and match.
What jewelry to match with a bridesmaid dress?
When it comes to accessorizing your bridesmaid’s outfits, there are a number of ways to approach this subject. You can decide to choose everything yourself, from the shoes to the jewelry, or you can give your bridesmaids a bit of leeway and let them choose their own jewelry and shoes. It is a nice idea to let them have a bit of a say in what they are wearing, but if you want to keep things in line with your ideas, perhaps ask them to keep with one style of shoe or type of jewelry.
1. Let them decide- Seeing as your bridesmaids will be wearing the same style or same color dress, you could let them choose their own jewelry. As them to choose their own necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and purses to let their individuality shine through. If you are worried about them going over the top, give them some parameters, such as stick with pearls, or wear diamanté.
2. Forego accessories- Another option is to forego accessories altogether, except for maybe a pair of simple earrings. Remember that simple is elegant, so they don’t necessarily need to be dripping in jewels as this could be overkill. One single sparkling bracelet or a beautiful pair of pendant earrings could be the perfect partner for the strapless dresses that are so popular right now.
FUN IDEA: Have an accessory party!
Gather your gaggle of maids together for a pre-wedding accessory party where they can make their own accessories. Meet at the bead store and choose the theme, color and style together – it makes for a fun day out.
What other accessories to wear with a bridesmaid dress?
Your bridesmaids might want to bring small purses to your wedding for their lipstick and other personal affects. They won’t be carrying the bags at any important stage of the wedding, so they can bring their own evening bags, which do not necessarily have to match the other maids. Do ask them, however, to choose bags that complement their wedding day attire in color and style, such a stylish drawstring pouch, a retro-looking wrist-strap bag or an elegant clutch.
FUN IDEA: Get creative!
Accessories don’t need to be limited to jewelry – get creative and try something unique like flower necklaces or twigs woven into your hair.
What color shoes to pair with a bridesmaid dress?
1. Simple and inexpensive- Choosing shoes for your bridesmaids can be a tricky subject. Generally, the bride chooses the style and color of the shoes; however after spending money the dress, the bridesmaids might not be keen to or able to afford a new pair of shoes. So, in light of this, always go for simple, affordable shoes – you don’t need them to wear Manolo Blahniks or Prada.
2. Style-wise- Style-wise, avoid choosing flat shoes unless all your bridesmaids are over six foot and avoid very high heels, as you don’t want your bridesmaids teetering down the aisle. Go for a simple, strappy style that is comfortable to wear and look good on everyone.
3. Pale colors- When it comes to the color of the shoes, shades of platinum and pale gold go very well with various colored bridesmaids dresses, and can be used after the wedding. Obviously, if your bridesmaids are wearing different styles, various styles of shoes would work too, however this is something you need to decide.